Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Author Spotlight- Mary DeMuth




Welcome to this week's Author Spotlight. I have an amazing author, speaker, and book mentor with us this week. Let me introduce Mary DeMuth.

Mary, welcome to The Writing World.

Please introduce yourself by telling the readers a little bit about yourself.
I’m the author of 11 traditionally published books, one ebook on how to get published, with several more books in the hopper. I live in Texas with my three kids and husband.

1. What made you want to begin writing?

I couldn’t help but write. I’ve been doing it since I can remember.

2. What's your favorite book you've written?
Probably Thin Places: A Memoir because there is so much of me and my difficult journey overcoming a hard past. It hurt to write, but because it hurt so much, the potential for growth for those who read it (and healing) is big too.

3. When did you first start writing and what was your first book?
I’ve been writing since forever, but more purposely since 1992. I spent tent years writing in obscurity, writing miles and miles of unpublished words. None of that was wasted, though, because all that hard work made me a faster, better writer. My first published book was Ordinary Mom, Extraordinary God (Harvest House, 2005), and it’s still in print.

4. Are you traditionally published or self published?
Mostly traditionally published (Zondervan, WaterBrook Multnomah, Harvest House, Tyndale, Thomas Nelson, etc.) I recently e-published The 11 Secrets of Getting Published. http://www.marydemuth.com/2011/08/only-2-99-my-book-11-secrets-of-getting-published/ And here’s my books page. I have a mixture of parenting books, a memoir, and several novels: http://www.marydemuth.com/2011/02/books-by-mary-demuth/

5. What were the biggest challenges you faced when you first started publishing your work?
Understanding the publishing industry and learning how to market my book.

6. Have you experienced a writer's block? How do you overcome it?
No.

7. What is one thing you never leave home without?
My cell phone.

8. Do you have any books that are currently in the works?
Yes, a book about spiritual warfare: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736943803/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwrelevantpr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=0736943803 And a book about spiritual growth

9. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
I had an email recently where someone said they couldn’t believe my latest novel had been published, and that I had to learn how to write sentences. Ouch. Why are people so mean? (And for the record, I know how to write sentences!) The best compliments come when readers tell me they no longer feel alone after they read my books.

10. Are you currently reading a book? If so, what's it about and would you recommend it to others?
I just finished The Bishop by Steven James. If you like suspense, it’s a good read, but if you’re queasy, maybe not. There are some scary elements in it.

11. Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
Write, write, write. Give yourself deadlines and meet them. Set a word count goal every day. Read widely. Read craft books. Go to conferences. Find a writers critique group. Be willing to listen to critique. Take risks.

12. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
Just that I’m a word servant for their sakes.



Thank you for your time. It was wonderful having you with us today. We wish you the best in your writing journey. Have a wonderful day.

http://www.marydemuth.com


1 comment:

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Hi. Nice interview. I am a new follower from the blog hop. Like you, I am also a writer.
Best Wishes

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...