Saturday, February 18, 2012

Author Spotlight- Dan Wright

It's that time again!!! Welcome to this week's Author Spotlight. I'd like to welcome Dan Wright to The Writing World. I had much time to work with Dan and want to thank him for being so helpful. If you'd like to learn more about him, please read on to the interview. There's also a permanent link on the side bar that will take you to his website. Feel free to check that out as well.



1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.

My name is Dan, I live in the UK and I am an author and part time book reviewer. I like reading, listening to music, blogging and watching films and TV and generally just living in a fantasy world! I have also played in a few bands and have performed on some small festival stages.

2. What types of books do you write?

I write fantasy novels with a strong manga influence. I love manga because it has a lot of great characterization and drama – but also a tongue and cheek humour to it. It’s not afraid to have fun, whilst at the same time being dramatic. It’s a style that I have adapted to my writing. My novels are usually set in the world of Draconica, which is a fantasy world where dragons used to rule. Whilst I do write them with the intention of them being stand alone stories, I do find ways of connecting them in some way, making a sort of ‘shared universe,’ something which I picked up from reading comics.

3. Who's your main audience?

It depends on the style of the book. I tend to write books for the young adult market (aged 13 upwards) as I don’t want to write books that are going to single out potential readers. However, I do have one book that is intended for the adult market coming out soon – though I try to stay away from writing books that are too adult as I want as many people as possible to read my works.

4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?

For me, I love creating characters. I have been praised in the past for how well my characters come across in the story and their personalities, so this is definitely something I consider a strength. For weaknesses, I would say knowing when to stop writing! Sometimes I can write entire paragraphs that are almost half a page long – when really it can be summed up in only a few words. I usually have to spend hours editing my books afterwards because I write so much drivel! Less is more – that’s something I need to work on.

5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?

Actually, there is a song by the band Dream Theater that covers this exact subject. It’s called “Wither” and actually is about a guy dealing with writers block. If I’m stuck, I like to listen to this song for inspiration.

In fact, Dream Theater are able to inspire me a lot with their music. If I get stuck, I put on some Dream Theater and let the music take me. It seems to work for me, however, for most writers, I think the best way is that if you’re stuck with Writers Block, it’s a sign that you need to step away from the computer/typewriter/quill pen (if that’s your thing) and chill out for a bit.

6. How many books have you written?

One full length novel (Trapped on Draconica) and one novella (The Wandering Valkyr). I also have another novella on the way and am writing two more books (maybe three) to be released this year.

7. How many are published?

Trapped on Draconica is currently out on ebook and paperback. The Wandering Valkyr is ebook only.

8. Are you self published or traditionally published?

Self-published. I actually made this choice as opposed to going traditionally published as I kinda liked the idea of being in control of my own project. And with all the technology out to help self-published authors out, it’s even easier and more cost effective. That’s not to say that I have anything against traditionally published authors (in fact I am friends with some traditionally published authors), I just like the idea of being in control of how my story is marketed.

9. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?

Coming up with an idea – and sticking with it! I come up with ideas for stories all the time, but not all of them are good. But once I get an idea and it sticks in my head long enough, that’s when I know I have a good idea. There has been many a time when I’ve started a book and then abandoned it because I have no interest in it anymore – that is something I try to avoid these days.

10. What type of books do you enjoy reading?

I actually work part time as a book reviewer, so I read a large number of novels, by both independent and published authors. Whilst I do like reading science fiction and fantasy, I am always interested in reading works by new authors and the wonderful ideas that they have. In fact, my favourite book of last year was by an independent author.

11. Who's your favorite Author?

Douglas Adams. He had a style and wit that no one could match and his works were always so clever and well written. His worlds, although over the top and stupid in places, did actually feel real because of the way they were described.

12. What's your all time favorite book?

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. No book series has made me laugh so much as this one did.







website: http://www.pandragondan.co.uk/
where to buy the book: http://www.trappedondraconica.com/wheretobuy.htm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PandragonDanWright
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/PandragonDan



Book Review of Dan Wright's Trapped on Draconica is coming up. Keep your eyes out so you don't miss it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...