Saturday, February 11, 2012

Author Spotlight - Sarah Ballance


I'd like to welcome another amazing Author to The Writing World for our Author Spotlight. Let's welcome Sarah Ballance.

Below you will learn a bit more about Sarah:

Interview:


Please tell the readers a bit more about you.

Thanks so much for having me here today. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom of six—three boys and three girls and they range in age from 13 years to 20 months. People always want to know if we had them on purpose and the answer is yes … all but the youngest. I had my tubes tied after baby #5 and #6 decided to come along anyway, and now that I've met her I will attest to the fact that she is exactly that stubborn and determined, LOL! My husband and I have been married for almost 15 years and we live on the coast, where we spend as much time as possible on a boat.


What types of books do you write?

Primarily contemporary romantic suspense with a sensual heat level. But my best-selling title, HAWTHORNE, is a paranormal romance that's been on and off the Amazon bestseller list for "ghosts" since it was released in July 2011. The sequel, which should be coming later this year, will be a romantic suspense.

Who's your main audience?
I have a pretty awesome variety of readers who contact me about my books—it's hard to categorize them! But I will say my books tend to have an edge of humor and a lack of frequent or explicit sex. I love to mix my romance with an element of danger. Passion seems to hit a whole new level when lives are on the line, and it's that for which I strive: capturing those primal instincts and breathing them into my characters as they fight not only for their lives, but for their love.

When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?
One of my favorite things about suspense is weaving the clues throughout—I consider it an art form in itself, LOL. And a great many of my reviews note an ability to create characters with whom readers share an immediate connection. I LOVE that. But what I don't love is writing sex, and sex doesn't like being written by me. It normally turns out okay, but I'll never be known for the heat, LOL!

What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?
I've found when I can't move forward in a particular scene, it's usually because I have something else on my mind. Once I figure out where my distraction is, I go ahead and write that scene (or whatever portion of it I manage to spit out). That leaves me free to go back to where I left off, and at that point the words come freely. And when I reach the extra scene in sequence, it's an easy edit and I'm good to go.

How many books have you written?
I've completed six and I'm working on my seventh now.

How many are published? 
Five are published. One is complete and under consideration with a publisher, and the seventh is my current project.

Are you self published or traditionally published?
I'm traditionally published with Noble Romance and Astraea Press, but with my next book, LAST CALL, I'm going the self-published route. I already have professionally designed cover art and I've hired an editor and a formatter and arranged for proofreading, so I'm not skimping over any steps. My main motivation is price: I'll be able to sell both ebooks and print copies at prices easily affordable to readers, hopefully gaining a wider audience as result.


What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?
The first chapter. Not only is it the foundation upon which the rest of the story is built—something especially when you're building that framework of suspense—but it's where, as an author, you need to grab the reader.


What type of books do you enjoy reading?
I'll read anything, but my heart is with romantic suspense. I have a stash of Harlequin Intrigues 50 books strong, and any time I need to feel inspired I grab one. My heart is there, and so is my passion.



Who's your favorite Author?
I don’t have anyone in particular, but I will give some props to B.J. Daniels. Her book, Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch, was my first "grown up" romantic suspense. I used to read Nancy Drew Case Files as a kid, and B.J. Daniels re-awakened in me that love of suspense. (And made it hot, LOL!)



What's your all time favorite book?
Ruffian: Burning from the Start. It's based on a true story, and although it's been almost 20 years since I read it, I still think of it often. I cried for days after I finished it, then I bought a second copy. I don't know why I need two, LOL, but I treasure them both.


Thank you so very much for welcoming me for the day. I offer weekly gift card giveaways on my blog, so if anyone is so inclined to join me I'd be honored to have you and thrilled to one day hand over a prize. :c)

Sarah Ballance Linkage: 
WEBSITE http://www.sarahballance.com/
BLOG http://sarahballance.wordpress.com/
AMAZON http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003WKYEJI
BARNES & NOBLE http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/sarah-ballance
TWITTER http://twitter.com/#!/SarahBallance
FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/sarah.ballance.author.news
NOBLE ROMANCE https://www.nobleromance.com/Authors/97/Sarah-Ballance

4 comments:

Sarah Ballance said...

Thank you so much for featuring me today. I appreciate your time and hospitality. ;c)

Unknown said...

Great interview guys. And did you change your blog format, Raebeth? I love it!

Sarah said...

Hi, Krystal! Thanks for commenting. ;c)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed
this article. It was helpful. Keep on posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...