Saturday, March 31, 2012

Author Spotlight: Thomas Knight

Thomas Knight



Books By Author



Book Review (Coming Soon)

Links


Interview



1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.

I grew up, and currently live in Southwestern Ontario. I have a wife, two daughters, and two cats, and I love them all to death. I'm a full-time software developer and write in my spare time (what little I have). I'm also an avid role player, and usually spend Sunday afternoons with a group of friends playing D&D.

2. What types of books do you write?

I like to think of myself as a fantasy author, but if you're the kind of person that wants it finer grained than that, I've seen my book described most often as a blend between epic and urban fantasy. Some people even see a scifi twist to it, though any relation to scifi was not intentional. (Not that I don't like scifi, but that wasn't what I was going for.)

3. Who's your main audience?

If I was to take it back to basics, I would say people like me, but that's far too general. If you're looking for Tolkein or Martin style fantasy, you won't find it here. Instead, you'll get intense action, a fast pace, and distinct, relatable characters. People who like urban or epic fantasy, or even steam punk, are likely to enjoy my work.

4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?

My strong points? Definitely my action scenes. I've had a lot of good comments about my pacing and my action. Also, the way I blended two worlds together, Earth, and my alternate world Galadir. My weaknesses tend to be more technical, and are usually solved during editing. I'm not the strongest speller, and my over-use of hyphens and under-use of apostrophes has frustrated my editor more than once.

5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?

Ahh, the bane of every writer's existence. Everyone, during the course of writing a book, will hit the proverbial wall and get blocked. I tend to go around the wall, and move on to another scene. It gets the gears in motion again, and I can always come back to the blocked scene later.

6. How many books have you written?

The Time Weaver is my first book, and I'm about half way through writing my second.

7. How many are published?

All of my completed books are published in eBook and Paperback form.

8. Are you self published or traditionally published?

I'm self-published, and unless a traditional publisher comes busting down my door, I will always be self-published. To me, self-publishing wasn't a last resort. It was my first choice. I like to have control over my book, to do things at my pace, rather than somebody else's.

9. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?

Writing the book was actually the easy part for me. Editing was hard. Choosing what to keep, what to cut, and accepting that when people tell you something isn't working, that it needs to be changed? That's terribly difficult. Marketing as well, because regardless of what type of publishing you are in, marketing your book will become a big part of the effort.

10. What type of books do you enjoy reading?

I've always been a fantasy reader, though lately I've spent some time branching into new territories with some literary fiction, some crime dramas, and even a young adult novel or two. I've found that as I get older, I find the stories are more important to me than the genre.

11. Who's your favorite Author?

This is such a tough question to answer. I like a wide variety of stories, and it depends in large part on my mood. I different favorites for different types of books. For scifi, my favorite is clearly Anne McCaffrey. In epic fantasy, I lean towards Weis and Hickman. If I'm looking for something full of action I turn to J. Robert King. It all depends.

12. What's your all time favorite book?

I simply can't answer this. The number of books I've read is so large, and the range of books so varied, that it would be nearly impossible to find a single book that wins out in all categories. However, some books that stand out at the top of my list are, in no particular order, All the Weirs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey, A Warrior's Tale by Lorna Suzuki, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, and The Thran by J. Robert King.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you, Raebeth, for having me on your site for this interview. I appreciate it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...