Wednesday, January 16, 2013

First Love Blog Hop- Author Featuring Trace Broyles

Welcome to another post for the
First Love Blog Hop

I'd like to introduce another author which has joined in with this amazing event. Let's welcome Trace Broyles, author of Estelan


Thank you for hanging out with us today, Trace. It's a pleasure having you here. I do have some questions for you if you don't mind... 

Do you listen to music when you write? Have a completely silent space?

I listen to music that amplifies the type of scene I am writing or I will pop in a movie that helps me getting into the right frame of mind.  I like Lord of the Rings, V for Vendetta, Brave, Alice in Wonderland, and similar movies if I am in movie mode.  For music I listen to Adele, Tom Petty, the Fray, P!nk, again, depending on what type of scene I am writing.
 
Who inspires you? What authors do you look up to? Why?

First and foremost I am a huge Tolkien fan.  I love the complexity of his worlds, the camaraderie and the imagery.  I am a fan of JK Rowling and George RR Martin.  I’m inspired by beauty in small things, noble gestures by the average person on the street, and people who work hard.

Do you have another job and if so what is it?

I am a marketing assistant – just started the job actually – and I love it.  It is flexible, requires creativity, and allows me to work with people in an entirely different (and exponentially better) capacity than I used to.

 Tell about your first book and how long it took you to write the first draft? 

Estelan is my first book.  It is a YA epic fantasy about a world torn nearly in two but for a magically sealed core.  There is a lot of lore involved and the story is layered with several storylines running as characters cross paths with each other. It took about four years to put the concept together and actually start writing it.  Once I did, the first draft was done in about four months.  I wrote every day.  Of course, the editing and rewriting took several more months.

Who is your favorite character? Why?

This is a tough question for me because I am attached to several of my characters.  In the end, I have to go with Kitin because I am partial to her.  She is cold and very tough but in so many ways she is fragile.  I appreciate many aspects of her character and some of the decisions she has made in spite of the sacrifices it would/will mean for her.

Which character was most difficult to write?

Without giving too much away, I would say that Elnor was most difficult.  I had to be careful not to give away too much of him so I could not really write from his perspective until the very end of Estelan.  There will be more from his perspective in the sequel and people will see a different side of him.  There is a lot to Elnor that not even he is aware of yet. 

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
I see myself in all of them.  I think I have said this before, I know I have, but in order for me to write a character I have to identify with them in some capacity.  Even characters I abhor have some quality or other that I can relate to so that they do not appear wooden or false.

Indie pub or trad pub?

Indie.  I will stay indie until somebody makes me an offer I can’t refuse.  Ha ha.  Seriously though, until somebody offers me something that I cannot do for myself then it is not worth it to me.  I also have no desire to compromise or fit the mold, if I have to sacrifice certain parts of my novels/characters to gain a contract then it is not worth it to me either.

If you could take the place of one of your characters, which one would you choose and why?

I would want to be Tyla.  I love her and I would like to know Kitin and the Twins from her perspective.  There are big things to come for her.

If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do?

I want to go back to Ireland, tour the countryside and stay in as many different bed and breakfasts as possible.  I was there for over a week but it was not remotely enough time.  I loved everything about it from the scenery to the people and I long to set foot on the Emerald Isle again.

What is your favorite TV show from your childhood?  What is it now?

From childhood?  I think Gummy Bears.  I loved watching it on Saturday mornings with my Pop Tarts in my lap and juice pack on the end table.  I still know the theme song!  My favorite TV show now is a little more difficult because it really depends on what kind of mood I am in.  I love New Girl and the Big Bang Theory when I want to laugh.  Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire, and Parenthood are my other guilty pleasures when I want something more serious. 
 
Thank you very much. It was great learning more about you today.

If you would like to learn more about Trace.. you can find more here:

 
 
 
Twitter: BooksbyViolet
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...