Monday, March 4, 2013

#Interview with Jean Booth

 Welcome to The Writing World. Today I'd like to welcome Jean Booth to the blog. I had the lovely chance to interview her and get to know more about her. Please take the moment and read the interview to learn more.


*INTERVIEW*

1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.
I'm a workaholic. I'm not really happy unless I have three or more projects going at a time; therefore I tend to be a bit scatterbrained. I've been with my husband for 13 years and together we have nine cats. Yep, I'm the crazy cat lady your parents warned you about! I live in Northern Nevada, where the seasons change throughout the day and the wind billows and bites. I love the mountain views though. I worked in health care until just recently, when I decided to take up writing. I love it and wouldn't change it for the world.

2. What types of books do you write?
I currently have a Paranormal Romance series, a Zombie Horror trilogy, and an Erotic novella available. It seems like, as soon as I say I won't write a certain genre, the muse proves me wrong, so as of this moment, I'm not just limited to these three genres.

3. Who's your main audience?
In my perfect little bubble, I write more for adults. To be more specific, I'm mostly focused toward women who appreciate the more romantic side of life. However, I've had quite a few teens tell me how awesome my books are, and not just the zombie stories. I just pretend they skipped the sex.

4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points?
It surprised me to discover that I'm rather skilled when it comes to writing love scenes and descriptive gore.
What are your weaknesses?
Character development. I either over develop my characters, or under develop them. I don't feel like I've quite gotten the happy medium down yet, but I'm getting there.

5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?
I'm not sure how I feel about writer's block. Honestly, as long as my stress level is manageable, I'm good. The hardest part for me is keeping the muse focused on the project at hand. She has ADD, badly. As long as I can keep her focused and relaxed, we're happy.

6. How many books have you written?
I've written four full-length novels and three novellas. (I also have 13 Works in Progress. Told you, muse with ADD.)

7. How many are published?
All are published.

8. Are you self published or traditionally published?
I'm a very happy Indie Author. (Self-published)

9. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?
Editing. I hate sitting down and taking the time to do it. I don't mind tearing my work apart, just the time it takes for me to do it. It takes discipline for me to really concentrate on the editing process.

10. What type of books do you enjoy reading?
I enjoy just about any type of fiction. My favorites are probably Paranormal Romance, Horror and Suspense though.

11. Who's your favorite Author?
Alexandre Dumas

12. What's your all time favorite book?
The Count of Monte Cristo; it was a book I had to read in high school and I've read it about 9 times. Each time I can't seem to put it down.

13. How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends on a few factors: The muse and her ADD, how long the book is, and what I'm doing in the "real" world. The zombie books typically take me about 1-2 months to write, while the Origins of the Supernaturals took me 4-6 months each.

14. Out of all of your characters, which is your favorite? Why?
I don't have a favorite. My characters are my creations and I find value in all of them.

15. What is one of the most surprising things you've learned as a writer?
That I can write! LOL! Just kidding, sort of. I think the thing that most surprised me was how much work it takes to be an Indie Author. I care about the product I put out, I want all of my books to be the best I can produce. I guess I always had this misconception that once you wrote a book, everything else would be easy and the money would just flow. It's not even close to that. It's a full time job, one that doesn't guarantee you a paycheck at the end of the day.

16. What does your family think of your writing?
My mom encouraged me to start writing and is one of my biggest fans. My dad and step-mom don't approve of the content of my books, but they're proud of me for following my dreams. My sisters and brother are all very supportive. The only one who I fight with on a recurrent basis is my husband. He likes to call my writing a hobby.

17. What does your writing schedule look like?
I write whenever I can. Up until last week, I worked a full time night job at a local hospital. I'd write when I got home and on my weekends mostly. I'm working toward the day when writing is all I do for a living. I'm getting there.

18. Do you manage to write every day?
No, nor do I try to. The muse and I have to take breaks in between books. When we're writing, we're typically cranking out 10-20 pages a day, plus working an 8-hour night. By the time the book is published, she and I take a month or two off from each other. I take that time to read, play video games and generally decompress.

19. What's the latest news you'd like to share?
Zombified, the third in the Zombie War trilogy will be available in May. I've also started on my first Young Adult novel that seems rather intriguingly disturbing. I'm excited to see where this book goes. Right now it's very science fictional.

20. Do you have any advice for new writers?
Write and read as often as you can. Find a few support groups comprised with other authors that you can talk to about your frustrations. Don't take negative criticisms to heart, but use them as a way to learn. Above all, write the books you want to read. If you don't like them, no one else will either.


Links to websites regarding the Author and their work:
http://www.JeanBooth.blogspot.com

http://www.Facebook.com/AuthorJeanBooth

http://twitter.com/JeanBooth

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4072281.Jean_Booth

Links to where the work can be purchased:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Booth/e/B009WI5J0M/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1361850010&sr=8-1

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/jean-booth

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JeanBooth

3 comments:

Jean Booth said...

Thanks so much for the interview RaeBeth! It was fun! :)

Unknown said...

Great interview! I've read Jean's work and it's wonderful :) She's very talented!

Jean Booth said...

Aww, Thanks Katie! I love your work as well! What a mush fest! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...